The Ministry of Groove
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Ministry of Groove

You are not connected. Please login or register

Character Concepts (for the new online game)

+4
Torment
Squarf
Sean
The Minister
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

The Minister

The Minister
Broseidon, King of the Brocean

Post in here with any ideas for a character you're thinking of running. Anything from full blown character sheets, to just concepts and backgrounds is fine. Keep in mind that for the best group dynamic, we should have at least one character of each role (defender, leader, controller, striker)

https://tmog.rpg-board.net

Sean

Sean

So, I am fairly confident that I can find a class I would like to play to fill any role.

For each role, here are the classes I currently expect I would play:

Striker: Avenger or Barbarian
Leader: Warlord...Gensai Fireborn (tactical)
Defender: Warden, maybe fighter
Controller: As Nate indicated his preference was to play a controller, and I really have no strong interest in playing one, I'll assume that role is covered.

Sean

Sean

So, if I end up with Avenger (assuming we are starting at Lvl 1):
Lvl 1 Deva Avenger of Ioun

HP: 27 AC: 18 Fort: 12 Reflex: 14 Will: 15

STR 8 (maybe not, depending on how closely you want to watch carrying capacities)
CON 13

DEX 10
INT 17

WIS 19
CHA 10

Race Features:
Speed 6
Languages: Common, Draconic, Primordial
Immortal Origin
Race Powers:
Encounter:
Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes

Class Features:
Armor of Faith
Censure of Retribution
Class Powers:
At Will:
Radiant Vengeance
Bond of Retribution
Encounter:
Avenging Echo
Channel Divinity: Abjure Undead
Channel Divinity: Divine Guidance
Oath of Enmity
Daily:
Oath of the Final Duel or Aspect of Might or Temple of Light but not Renewing Strike

Skills

+2 History +2 Religion

Trained in:
Religion
Perception
Stealth
Heal

Feats:
Armor Proficiency (Leather)

Equipment:
Leather Armor
Greatsword
Glaive
Holy Symbol

Feats for later (mostly for my own notes):
Weapon Expertise
Guaranteed Retribution
Improved Armor of Faith
Weapon Focus
Weapon Proficiency (Full Blade)
Combat Medic?
Potent Rebirth?
maybe Auspicious Lineage

Squarf

Squarf

I am likely going to play a Dwarven Invoker

with choosing Covenant of The Wrath.

At Will:
Divine Bolts
Grasping Shards

Encounter:
Channel Divinity: Armor of Wrath
Channel Divinity: Rebuke Undead
Thunder of Judgement

Daily:
Will be determined dependant upon how many strikers/defenders and/or long range people we have.

Torment

Torment
Teh Eagleman

Brüno Gehard, level 1
Human, Bard
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Valor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 13 Will: 16
HP: 28 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +5, Arcana +5, Bluff +9, Acrobatics +4, Intimidate +9, Diplomacy +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering, Endurance +3, Heal, History +1, Insight, Nature, Perception, Religion +1, Stealth, Streetwise +5, Thievery

FEATS
Bard: Ritual Caster
Human: Improved Majestic Word
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)

POWERS
Bard at-will 1: Vicious Mockery
Bard at-will 1: Guiding Strike
Bard encounter 1: Shout of Triumph
Bard daily 1: Slayer's Song
Human: War Song Strike

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Implement, Wand, Longsword, Chainmail, Light Shield, Adventurer's Kit
RITUALS
Comprehend Language, Fastidiousness

Brüno Gehard (pronounced "gay-hard") also known as "Flamboyant Fashionista Brüno", Despite appearing to be a grown man, he claims to be 19 years old. His mother was murdered by his father, who was a prominent cuckoo clock beak maker before going to jail. Brüno's first homosexual experience occurred when he was 14 years old when his Uncle Wilhelm entered his bedroom late one night and performed fellatio on him. Brüno claims that this only happened as he was holding a knife to his uncle's neck at the time.

Now Brüno works in the entertainment business His first show in his hometown(Klagen) was called in Gerhardic: Funkyzeit mit Brüno (Funkytime with Brüno) which has been running for eight years in an open courtyard of Klagen. On this show, Brüno interviewed guests about topics such as fashion, entertainment, celebrities and homosexuality, with an emphasis on the last subject as each interview progresses. Brüno was fired from the show 6 months earlier and as he had many troubles finding a new job, with no continuing luck to make ends meet he worked as a dancer at Klub Gruumsh and is now looking for companions to help him advise others around the "werld" about fashion and entertainment as well as find his long lost friend named Lutz whom he is very fond of his very powerful thighs.

Squarf

Squarf

I was going to save this as being a fun detail to keep from my party, but with Bruno around.. I will let it be known...

My character is female... with a beard... For Serious.

Knisleyisadick

Knisleyisadick

Sorry for taking so long to get on here...

Probably do a striker

Either Avenger or Rogue

However if we don't have a defender I am willing to play either a fighter or a warden.

I'll have more for you guys when I get more free time later tonight.

Knisleyisadick

Knisleyisadick

Level: 1
Warden, Goliath

Str: 18
Con: 18
Dex: 10
Int: 10
Wis: 13
Cha: 9

Ac: 19, Fort: 15, Ref: 12, Will: 13

Hp: 40 Healing Surge: 10 Bloodied: 20

Speed: 6 Initiative: 1 Surges: 13

Trained sills: Athletics 10, Endurance 8, Nature 8, Heal 6

Languages: Common, Giant (figured why not)
Feats:
Toughness

Class Features:
Earth Strength
Font of Life
Nature's Wraith

Powers:
Stone's Endurance
Warden's Fury
Warden's Grasp
Strength of Stone
Weight of Earth
Thunder Ram Assault
Form of Winter's Herald

Defender/controller type guy

Last edited by Knisleyisadick on Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sean

Sean

Knisleyisadick wrote:Level: 1
Warden, Goliath

Str: 18
Con: 18
Dex: 12
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

Unless I missed something, you spent too many points on your stats.
Base scores (points):

Str: 16 (9)
Con: 16 (9)
Dex: 12 (2)
Int: 10 (0)
Wis: 12 (2)
Cha: 10 (2*)
Total: (24)

*remember, one of your scores starts as an 8

Knisleyisadick

Knisleyisadick

base stats were 16 16 12 10 10 10 one of the basic arrays they give in the phb. Goliath adds 2 to str and con making it 18 18 12 10 10 10 or it was suppose to. I changed my wisdom to 12 and forgot to change dex to 10 was switching around stats

RandMuadDib

RandMuadDib

Guess that leaves me with controller. I'm not sure if i'm going wizard or psion. Probably wizard because psion doesn't have much in terms of options atm. I'll get a sheet up soonish.

The Minister

The Minister

RandMuadDib wrote:Guess that leaves me with controller.
Actually at this point all roles have been filled, since Squarf is a controller (Invoker). Just a heads up so you didn't feel like you were being pigeonholed into one class over another.

RandMuadDib

RandMuadDib

yeah when i was reading through the posts, i didnt realize that invoker was a controller. So now it comes down to either wizard or warlock. i tend to play strikers a lot, so i think i'm gonna go wizard.

RandMuadDib

RandMuadDib

Alright, here's my character. Soveliss, Eladdrin Wizard. Controller.

STR 10 CON 10
DEX 13 INT 20
WIS 14 CHA 08

Skills: Arcana, Diplomacy, History, Insight, and Perception.

Feats: Ritual Caster, Fey Escape

Orb of Imposition implement mastery

At Will: Thunderwave, Cloud of Daggers, Cantrips
Encounter: Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation
Daily: Flaming Sphere, Rolling Thunder (Spellbook)

Don't Have much of a personality or background yet.

Sean

Sean

2 controllers, huh. Interesting. How many party members are we expecting?

Squarf

Squarf

One more. (so 6 total) I'm not your normal type of controller though... I get to wear chainmail :-) Albeit with a 16 AC (and an 18 AC if someone is close to me and I attack) I am not the BEST at defending attacks, but it's not half bad.

Knisleyisadick

Knisleyisadick

My guy has some nifty abilities that raise ac and get temp hit points. We will see how he does at defending. He also can pull off as a secondary controller (albeit a lot weaker than our wizard and invoker)

Sean

Sean

Squarf wrote:One more. (so 6 total) I'm not your normal type of controller though... I get to wear chainmail :-) Albeit with a 16 AC (and an 18 AC if someone is close to me and I attack) I am not the BEST at defending attacks, but it's not half bad.

I was generally referring to the focus in roles.... multiple controllers may lend a slant to the encounters. i.e. if there are a bunch of minions, we will have an easy time, if it is a single boss... we are likely going to have an exceptionally difficult time.

Knisleyisadick wrote:My guy has some nifty abilities that raise ac and get temp hit points. We will see how he does at defending. He also can pull off as a secondary controller (albeit a lot weaker than our wizard and invoker)

That is true, the warden is a bit of a secondary controller defender too. So, yea, I would say that the next character should probably be either a leader with a striker slant (does that even exist?) or a striker, maybe with a leader or defender slant.

As a side note, since we seem to have a very magicy (and ranged, otherwise i would suggest a barbarian or a rogue) flavor... my thought would be a sorceror... though that slants toward controller again, not sure might be able to avoid it.... or maybe a ranger. but if there is a ranger... don't take split the tree..... we have more than enough controller slant.

Draxler, does your warden have any ranged capabilities? If so, we could be quite the force at range.... unless we are against a bunch of ranged strikers.

Torment

Torment
Teh Eagleman

Personally the group is fairly balanced, we theoretically have 2 melee(Warden, Avenger) and 2 ranged (Wizard, Invoker) and I am kinda in the middle Ranged/Melee with a few heals. However Bards have just that, a few heals(2 Per Encounter) and I can give Temp HP and thats about it, would be nice to see a Cleric or a Warlord(Or even a Shaman) but thats just me, but I guess it really doesn't matter what gets played.

Wardens don't have many ranged(if any) powers and are pretty much tanks that just soak damage(Considering he already has 40HP at level 1.

Sean

Sean

I have a ranged attack that gives me temp hp, so I certainly wouldn't mind making the enemy come to us when possible. Hmm, cleric has some nice ranged options too. So ideally, cleric would be nice.

Squarf

Squarf

To be honest, we are all "experienced" D&D players, I think whatever VB chooses, we can make work, even if it IS another controller, lol.

Oh and btw, my character is turning into a burst 1/slow opponent type of attacker. So "waiting for them to come to us" would make those abilities of mine somewhat more useful :-)

RandMuadDib

RandMuadDib

gah. i also went with burst/slow abilities.

Knisleyisadick

Knisleyisadick

not so much range attacks with my warden just a few close burst attacks a few blast effects forcing my guy to be in the middle of the bad guys when I do it, but then again thats my job isn't it? Veebs can do whatever he pleases but as torm said a cleric would be nifty, and the nice thing about 4th ed is that clerics are no longer just bandaid dispensers.

The Minister

The Minister

Knisleyisadick wrote:the nice thing about 4th ed is that clerics are no longer just bandaid dispensers.

Unless you opt for the feat Pacifist Healer out of Divine Power Razz (Although if I were playing a cleric, I would be all over that shit. Extra die of healing and then just take powers that either buff the party or debuff the enemies. Could be fun.)

Shaman have a striker-ish build if you go with the Stalker Spirit. Obviously they're not going to deal out tons of damage, but the build at least lets your spirit roll for damage when doing an opportunity attack (as opposed to the static damage of the protector.)

Sean

Sean

Squarf wrote:To be honest, we are all "experienced" D&D players, I think whatever VB chooses, we can make work, even if it IS another controller, lol.

Oh and btw, my character is turning into a burst 1/slow opponent type of attacker. So "waiting for them to come to us" would make those abilities of mine somewhat more useful :-)

RandMuadDib wrote:gah. i also went with burst/slow abilities.

So, as long as draxler isn't offended by holding back and waiting at choke points or something like that... doing ranged unfriendlyness to things sounds like a fun plan... and then draxler and I can hold and clean up the enemies as they start to close

Squarf

Squarf

Squarfly, level 1
Dwarf, Invoker
Divine Covenant: Covenant of Wrath

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 11 Will: 16
HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Diplomacy +4, Insight +10, Religion +5,

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Athletics -1, Bluff -1, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +4, Heal +5, History, Intimidate -1, Nature +5, Perception +5, Stealth -1, Thievery -1

FEATS:
Invoker: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Invoker Defense

POWERS:
Invoker at-will 1: Divine Bolts
Invoker at-will 1: Grasping Shards
Dwarven Encounter: Second Wind
Channel Divinity Encounter: Armor of Wrath
Channel Divinity Encounter: Rebuke Undead
Invoker Encounter 1: Thunder of Judgement
Invoker Daily 1: Engelic Echelon

Working on what rituals to take...

Torment

Torment
Teh Eagleman

Create Campfire.

seriously tho rituals are useless just pick something.

Sean

Sean

Torment wrote:Create Campfire.

seriously tho rituals are useless just pick something.

That's not true, Comp. Languages is useful. That is mostly it at 1st level though. Later the magic item stuff is nice.

RandMuadDib

RandMuadDib

and silence, and the page transcribing one

Sean

Sean

RandMuadDib wrote:and silence, and the page transcribing one

I suppose silence could be useful, I'm just still a bit corrupted by the power that was 3e/3.5 silence. The page transcribing one would be worth something if you are just throwing around gold for giggles. I mean, really all it does is save some in game time.

VB

I am not sorry it's taken so long to get on here as I've been rereading the rules :p

This spot has been saved for future use.

The Minister

The Minister

Good news folks. I've procured an Insider account and after perusing the contents of Dungeon, I've decided that we'll be running through the latest Adventure Path they've come up with, and the first one for 4th edition, The Scales of War. So if anyone has heard anything about that, kindly remain in the dark.

I'm not sure how fast this game is going to go, what with most of us being new to 4th edition combat and new to pbp in general. I'll be planning to post an update at least once a day. We'll see how long that promise lasts though.

VB

Alrighty, I decided on this. I'll get it up on the iplay4e site in a min :p

Nyx, level 1
Gnome, Warlock
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
Eldritch Pact: Star Pact

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 16.

AC: 12 Fort: 13 Reflex: 13 Will: 15
HP: 28 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +9, Intimidate +9, Insight +6, Bluff +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +3, Heal +1, History +2, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +2, Stealth +2, Thievery, Athletics -1

FEATS
Level 1: Reaper's Touch

POWERS
Warlock encounter 1: Dreadful Word
Warlock daily 1: Dread Star

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Implement, Rod, Dagger
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

Sean

Sean

The Minister wrote:Good news folks. I've procured an Insider account and after perusing the contents of Dungeon, I've decided that we'll be running through the latest Adventure Path they've come up with, and the first one for 4th edition, The Scales of War. So if anyone has heard anything about that, kindly remain in the dark.

I'm not sure how fast this game is going to go, what with most of us being new to 4th edition combat and new to pbp in general. I'll be planning to post an update at least once a day. We'll see how long that promise lasts though.

So, the character creator seems to have some character background things related to the scales of war thing. They also seem to grant bonuses, do we plan to use those?

The Minister

The Minister

I'll tentatively say yes to that. I'm only really familiar with backgrounds in RPGA for Living Forgotten Realms where you pick a starting region (Akanul for life), and I saw the background stuff in PH2 that adapted it to a generic campaign. At first I thought this was quite lame, but then I realized that any character without a background would be slightly underpowered to one that had one. Plus, it seems like a good way to add some guidelines for role-playing. I didn't actually know that they made some specifically for the adventure path, but I'll take a look at them.

Sean

Sean

The Minister wrote:I'll tentatively say yes to that. I'm only really familiar with backgrounds in RPGA for Living Forgotten Realms where you pick a starting region (Akanul for life), and I saw the background stuff in PH2 that adapted it to a generic campaign. At first I thought this was quite lame, but then I realized that any character without a background would be slightly underpowered to one that had one. Plus, it seems like a good way to add some guidelines for role-playing. I didn't actually know that they made some specifically for the adventure path, but I'll take a look at them.

I looked at them, and it appears that they don't have any that a character made from a pure PHB2 set of race/class qualify for (i.e. Deva Avenger). Not sure whether I should look at the ones in the PHB2 then, or maybe try to use one that I wouldn't technically qualify for but makes sense?

VB

My background is I'm a down on my luck king lulz

Knisleyisadick

Knisleyisadick

VB wrote:My background is I'm a down on my luck king lulz

lulz? god your a loser:P

The Minister

The Minister

Sean wrote:I looked at them, and it appears that they don't have any that a character made from a pure PHB2 set of race/class qualify for (i.e. Deva Avenger). Not sure whether I should look at the ones in the PHB2 then, or maybe try to use one that I wouldn't technically qualify for but makes sense?

To me it doesn't look like you have to qualify for any of them, just what would be a good starting point for picking each background. If one looks intriguing enough to you, be it rules-wise or flavor-wise, I'd say just go for it.

Anyone without the character builder, mechanically speaking backgrounds are totally optional, and despite what I said in my last post, your character won't be underpowered if you don't take one.

And as I take a look over at iplay4e, it seems that almost everyone has managed to upload their character (save Sean D., but he's got his stats all listed out in this thread.) If there's no further questions, I'll go ahead and make a new thread to kick the game off early tomorrow morning (today). Unless anyone has a major problem, I've decided to forgo doing a practice combat and instead use the first combat of the adventure as the learning experience, since that way you'll all be using your own characters anyway. It shouldn't be that hard, and hopefully will give us a gauge as to where we're sitting on several fronts such as rules knowledge and also game length (as far as combats go.)

Knisleyisadick

Knisleyisadick

Ill have my character on iplay or whatever it is tomarrow or monday. Trying to get a full version of the character builder.

The Minister

The Minister

One last thing as I post the game thread. If everyone could make up a sort of "wish list" of items they'd like to receive, I'll take that into account when generating treasure for the adventures. In 4th edition it's accepted that there's not a lot of magic items floating about the common people, so unless you can create items it can make getting what you want a bit tough. For the time being, a list of items from level 1 to 5 would be fine.

Sean

Sean

The Minister wrote: so unless you can create items
If no one else is planning on picking up that ritual, I will take ritual caster just for the magic item creation feats. Though since we have something like 3 ritual casters, I assume someone else will take it, yes?

Although that isn't available until level 4, so until then it would be difficult. Do you want the wishlists hiding in this thread, or should we stick them in a separate thread, perhaps sticky thread with a post from each of us that we can just edit for new desires or no longer wanted things.

The Minister

The Minister

Separate thread is a good idea, I'll get right on that.

RandMuadDib

RandMuadDib

I'd be willing to pick up item creation.

RandMuadDib

RandMuadDib

Hey DM, would it be okay if i switched thunderwave for magic missile, since we haven't started yet? While magic missile is less controller-esque, i feel it would be better for me to have a ranged basic attack.

The Minister

The Minister

RandMuadDib wrote:Hey DM, would it be okay if i switched thunderwave for magic missile, since we haven't started yet? While magic missile is less controller-esque, i feel it would be better for me to have a ranged basic attack.

That's fine, although Matt might lecture you on the grandness of Thunderwave.

Torment

Torment
Teh Eagleman

I don't care what you do it is your character, but thunderwave IMO is better then cloud of daggers especially when there is a feat to make the burst larger. You aren't a tank and thus pushing enemys away and running without ao's is awesome defensively or pushing them into pits or fire offensively but do whatever your the one playing him.

Squarf

Squarf

My abilities to push enemies and keep them away is somewhat limited, although I am trying my hardest to make my character be able to do that... I think it would rock if you could also push them away Greggy, but again it is 100% your character so feel free with what ya do :-)

RandMuadDib

RandMuadDib

Okay you win i'll leave my character as is.

Knisleyisadick

Knisleyisadick

Before we get into the campaign to much I wanted to know if I could adjust my stats just a bit more. All I basically wanted to do is to tweek my stats so that my wisdom is at 13 and my charisma at either 8 or 9, depending on how many points it takes to raise a stat to to 13 from 12. I don't have the phb on me right now I so I can't check.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next